Thursday, August 5, 2010

Evening invaders and too much sun

Zipolite is a pleasure. Gorgeous beaches, friendly locals, cheap beer, and yummy food! Our cabaña is interesting to say the least. It harbors more life than one would initially expect. After our first night here, we awoke to find a large family of grubs living in our shower, which is less a shower and more a corner of the bathroom with a shanty tap rigged to a beam, spewing out salt water. We can only surmise that our grubby little friends live in the smelly drain, and regardless of our attempts to relocate said family, they always resurface, slugging their way across the floor, even once visiting us right next to our bed. Maybe it's them that are smelly and not the drain; either way, there is a pungent odor of rotting onions/old man breath that permeates the room. The grubs are not the most exciting visitor, that honor belongs to a poorly deceased crab. While starting to dig out my bikini for a day of fun in the sun, I noticed an amputated crab leg on top of my backpack. Upon confirming the specimen with Oli and discarding it outside, I moved my bag and discovered the owner of the leg, an upside down crabby, that was missing not one but three legs. Where are the other two legs, and pray tell, how did the original leg end up three feet higher than the rest of the body? Something wicked this way comes. We can only guess that there was a brutal crab fight, and the winner took off with his earnings. I say it was a python, Oli tells me I'm ridiculous. Either way, there was a fight to the death, mere inches from my feet, and I am pleased to say the fighter has not resurfaced. Another pet that we have spied is a large moth that also likes to find it's way into our baño. It has the wingspan of a large bat, and thankfully does not hang out while we are in the area. After living on a farm since February one would have thought us prepared for such invasions, but I must admit these particular species are new to us in domestic form.

We lounged on the beach, Oli determined to bronze his newly toned physique. You can all guess how well that turned out, as sadly I am not permitted to post any pictures. Needless to say, after that first tanning sesh, I was left to brave the suns rays alone while Oli put some of our beer donations to use in the safety of a shaded bar.

And this is exactly how we have spent the last few days. Before our arrival here, I had grandiose dreams of finally learning to surf, but unfortunately the current is such that I can hardly enter the water above my ankles without flopping over and giving all the nudies a show. Yes, our end of the beach is rampant with the free of heart and free of clothes crowd, which at least gives Oli something to gaze at over his Coronas.

We have come to the end of our days in this free-wheeling town. Tomorrow we shall catch another bus and head up the coast to Puerto Escondido in search of cheap diving. As I type overlooking the waves, and sipping my Indio, my better half is bedridden with a bellyache. Let's hope he recovers soon enough for one last moonlit beer in our little paradise. We promise to enter a dreaded Internet cafe soon and upload the pictures of our adventures thus far. Until next time... Stay classy.

No comments: